Wednesday, May 5, 2010

GIMME MORE DOPE BLACK GIRLS: Finally Inside Beyonce's Mind

"Why Don't You Love Me" - Beyoncé from Beyoncé on Vimeo.



So I know its weird. I went from 2 posts a year to 3 posts a week but when beauty and history crash into each other I gotta say something!

Okay so I effing love Beyonce! I'm not one of those crazy fans that can't admit when she plays herself but I will be the first one to jump up and tell anyone why she is doper than they are. But I feel like I've been waiting over a decade to feel something inside of her. Being so glamorous and playful and flirtatious, its been hard to sense her sincerity in the past. But as she always does, she has finally confronted the issue of her authenticity and proven, she's everything you ever seen, and more.

This video turned everything about Beyonce WAY UP. Classic and well fashioned pin up imaging, grainy vintage 50's video taping and a shot of "B.B. Homemaker" dusting off her countless Grammy's was all it took to make this video a winner. The song, while not the greatest banger of them all is perfect for this theme. She plays on the problem of an unsatisfied husband, but in great B vernacular, you know its also a punch at everyone that questions, critiques and disregards her successful career.


why don't you love me when i make myself so easy to love? i got beauty, i got heart, keep my head in the books I'm sharp. but you don't care to know that I'm smart..


Those vulnerable lyrics are met with Bey fixing cars in stilettos, burning up food and being dangerously beautiful while affirming she deserves more love than she receives. She displays all the ways she caters to her man/public without being regarded for all it takes to be a wonder woman. Makeup rolling down her face, with a cocktail in one hand and a cigarette in another, for the first time you see and hear real torment in her voice. I appreciate that she put it all out there and I believe this is finally the end of the surface Bey. Grown, sexy and secure and in depth, she is surely just as dynamic inside as she is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment